Cytology Prep Technician
Job Description: Cytology Prep Technician
Location: Brunswick, GA
The Cytology Prep Technician will perform a variety of tasks related to the preparation of cytology specimens for microscopic examination, routine maintenance of the eqiupment used for duties such as specimen preparation and filing of blocks, slides, and reports.
- Responsible for all routine daily laboratory tasks as communicated by management
- Communicate efficiently and cordially with internal customers (cytology) and with external customers (other departments, pathologists, clients, etc.) via phone, email, in-person, etc.
- Notify manager immediately of any outliers or equipment failures
- Accession Specimens
- Process and Concentrate Specimens
- T-2000 ThinPrep Processing
- Slide printing with Slide Mate Printer- operation, care, maintenance of Slide Mate
- Slide staining and coverslipping
- Assemble cases for screening
- Document and prepare according to procedure LCA paps received and distribute with appropriate paperwork, i.e. QA sheets, requisitions, patient paperwork, etc., to pathologists
- Document sending of slides to LCA, communicate with internal and external customers
- Deliver SEPA screened slides to pathologists
- Monitor and record temperatures daily at the start of shift. Make adjustments as necessary.
- Responsible for inventory control and ordering of supplies
- Prepare stock reagents as necessary (e.g., diultions of alcohol: 50%, 70%, 80%, 95%)
- Waste removal and/or tracking, handling and disposal
- Label, date, and store hazardous waste in flammable cabinet. Empy hazardous waste containers as directed by department manager.
- Maintain clean work area
- Clean and perform preventative maintenance on equipment
- Maintain logs/records
- Maintain safety standards and documentation of the Cytology lab according to guidelines and protocols.
- Monthly equipment/cleaning/staining/manintenance records and charts maintained on a daily, weekly, monthly basis as appropriate. Records and charts are given to the manager monthly.
- Perform procedures according to written policies and follow the prescribed quality control measures
- Read, understand and follow all applicable SOPs
- Attend and participate in department meetings, training, or developmental opportunities
- Special projects as assigned
Minimum Requirements (Include education experience special skills and licenses or certifications required.)High school diploma or equivalent is required
- Previous experience within the medical field preferred
- Laboratory experience preferred
- Training in cytologic techniques is preferred but not required
- Excellent verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to both work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to follow directions.
- Must be an organized, detail oriented team player
- Desire to be part of a team effort
Note: Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.